1st ANNUAL SLAYFEST ANNOUNCES OFFICIAL 2018 PROGRAM LINEUP Festival Celebrating Black Queer and Trans, Arts and Culture
SLAYFEST 2018, presented by SLAY TV., announced its official program lineup for their 1st Annual SLAYFEST. SLAYFEST is a celebration of Black queer and trans artistic excellence and aims to bring together cinema enthusiasts, filmmakers, artists, and the overall LGBTQ community in the new Brooklyn Academy of Music’s Fisher Building (BAM). SLAYFEST will occupy 4 floors of the building and will screen short films and a feature film, along with special artists performances, panels and festivities. SLAYFEST will take place Saturday, July 21st, 2018 with a pre-party on Thursday, July 19th in partnership with Trappy Hour at Harlem Nights.
“SLAYFEST is bringing a new platform for filmmakers and artists to celebrate diversity,” said Sean Torrington, SLAY TV’s Co-founder and CEO. “We feel it’s more important than ever to promote, support, and protect our own narratives. From handpicked screenings, to dope performers and amazing panelists, we are proud to present this 1s t annual program and honored to those artists who are making it possible.”
SLAYFEST 2018 is proud to present the following short films to play in its main program:
- Gema – Directed & Written by Kenrick Prince | Starring: MJ Rodriguez & Ari Blinder
- Missed Connections – Directed & Produced by Michelle Sam | Executive Producer: Angelic Ross | Starring: Angelica Ross & Jermell Smith
- Finding Home – Director & Cinematographer: Abraham “AB” Troen | Producer: Marc Mounier
SLAYEST 2018 will feature panels that extend the festivalgoers experience beyond the cinema screen, offering opportunities to listen and discuss topics that directly affect the LGBTQ community. This year panels will feature:
- Holistic Wellness – On this panel, we’ll dive into a NEW vision, where we consider our entire health and wellness- mind, body and spirit.
- A Discussion on Representation in Media – We will discuss the advances being made to take ownership of our own queer and trans narratives.
- Money & Empowerment, SLAY.COIN – introducing the blockchain solution for funding queer people of color in media. A candid fireside chat about the sheer size of the global QPOC media market, and how using blockchain technology to create a new cryptocurrencies can help us fund the evolution of our authentic and unapologetic stories in mainstream media.
- The Women’s Experience– Through a queer feminist lens, this panel will examine and discuss sexism, exotification, healthy relationships and partner violence as well as sex and mental health.
SLAYFEST will finish the day with a concert featuring New York City’s hottest queer artists. Headliners and performers include:
- Headliner – Cakes da Killa
- Headliner – Dai Burger
- Mila Jam
- Davi Akei
- Charlie Xile
- Boy Radio
- Punk Adams
Additional festivities will take place throughout the day including a VIP Rooftop Cocktail Reception and a streaming live podcast with guest hosts who will report events as they happen and interview festivalgoers.
Corporate and community support for SLAYFEST plays a dynamic role in the life of the festival and underscores SLAYFEST’s commitment to quality and distinction in the art of queer and trans culture. SLAYFEST is privileged to collaborate with renowned consumer, health and entertainment brands including Gilead Sciences, Aid Health Foundation, Human Rights Campaign, Hornet, Black Gifted and Whole, Personal Data, Keith Institute and Tenz Magazine.
SLAYFEST is an annual celebration of queer and trans arts and culture presented by SLAY TV. Showcased through independent films, shorts, documentaries, music videos and other creative works, SLAYFEST aims to promote awareness, foster dialogue and build community by celebrating and bringing visibility to queer and trans artists and themed work.
About SLAY TV.
SLAY TV. is a global media network that creates and curates queer and trans digital content. Unlike other applications, SLAY TV. is a suite of applications covering multiple platforms including mobile and TV. SLAY TV is one of three entities under the SLAY. media umbrella. Other entities include SLAY STUDIO, a production company of actors, writers, directors, and producers who develop quality content and SLAY AGENCY, a full-service digital agency able to support small and large-scale campaigns from concept-to-production. SLAY. conceptualizes, produce, manage, and distributes. For more information, please visit www.slaytv.com